Sunday, March 4, 2018

Is Dramatic Satire a Thing?

Even thought the idea is not 100% clear, I know that my film will be a drama either way so I thought it was better to start off by doing some research about the genre and its conventions.

Drama films typically reflect human behavior and crisis in everyday life. Within the genre, melodrama is a a more specific way to describe my film. Melodrama is when a problem caused by an external forces outside of the protagonist’s control. I think this term defines my film because my main character plays the victim. Drama also are characterized by telling real stories of human struggle.

Further than just a drama, my film would also be a satire to female stereotypes, and that’s something I have no idea how to convey so I also did my research on this genre (?)
What I found left me a little confused. The general characteristic for satires is the use humor in order to discuss a social issue. However, I don’t want my film to be “funny”. I want it to be exaggerated so people reflect on what “moody” is really like. Something I found to support my argument is that “it is in the exaggeration that people are made aware of their foolishness.” which is basically what I was saying previously.
When doing my research I mainly found examples and definitions in literature but it also helps me to educate myself.  Dramatic satire has existed almost as long as drama itself, with the great Greek playwright Aristophanes. It makes conscience in certain topics. Something also supports my argument is that “ Even today, scholars have found understanding the workings of dramatic satire a challenge, largely because drama, unlike other forms of satire, necessarily involves performance. Designed to be staged rather than read. ”
Maybe “satire” is not the term I’m looking for I just don’t find any other suitable definition. This is my research for today, I’ll keep you updated if I find a better word to describe my weird film ideas.

Bibliography
Malysa, Sebastian. "Characteristics of Drama Genres." EHow. Leaf Group, 02 June 2011. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

Here's my CCR. I gotta say that I HATE talking to the camera... I get super shy and nervous soI'm sorry that you have to sit through...